Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Just in time for Hallowe'en, Joe McCarthy rises from the dead

"I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out, are they pro-America or anti-America? I think people would love to see an expose like that."

-- U.S. Congresswoman Michele Bachmann of Minnesota.

Modern-day McCarthyism is rearing its ugly head, ladies and gentlemen. Sarah Palin speaks of the real America, the pro-America parts of this country. As opposed to bogus America, anti-America parts? Where, exactly, would those be? I'm guessing inner city neighborhoods, college campuses, the ravaged, hurricane-scoured Ninth Ward of New Orleans, the entire state of California maybe, just for starters. What about the parts of Alaska that harbor secessionists? Sounds pretty anti-America to me. But Palin's husband "palled around" with the founder of the Alaskan Independence Party, and was himself a member. There's a word for that, let me see if I can remember.... I think it's TREASON.
Look, I'm old enough to remember the height of the Cold War, the paranoia and suspicion that pervaded my childhood, the threat of Soviet ICBMs coming over the Arctic to vaporize our cities, the mushroom cloud that hung over daily life in the Fifties and Sixties. I also remember the lies that got us deeper and deeper into Vietnam, the invocation of "law and order" that Nixon used to divide the country and garner more power for himself. If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it. Here we go again.
Apparently Ms. Bachmann has attempted to back-pedal, denying she ever called for an investigation of anti-American Congressmen and Senators. I refer you to the opening quote. Yet, in the very same statement she continues to say that Barack Obama is "not for America." I think I'll send her opponent some money. His name is Elwyn Tinklenberg, and he's received 1.3 million dollars in new contributions since Ms. Bachmann tried to play hardball with Chris Matthews last Friday.
Wake up, voters. This country is being overtaken by false patriots who do not understand the Constitution they claim to defend.

No comments: