I've already let you in on our plans for a new flower garden in the back yard. I got most of the outline dug out yesterday, and though the actual digging was easier than I imagined it would be, the bed itself has taken on a much larger footprint than I originally planned on paper. We are going to have to hire someone to do the heavy work, or it will be years before we get this done. I'm not kidding. At least two years. Any of our neighbors can back me up on this. Once I get the outline completed, we'll call in our landscaping guy. It's nice to have a landscaping guy. He'll probably want his trailer back, though, so there's another chore to finish. Half a trailer load of topsoil has to be relocated, and soon.
Our raised bed kits absolutely must be in place by May 7 so we can get the tomato plants purchased and planted before all the good ones are gone. I probably shouldn't have picked this week to work night shift. It's going to rain all week, though, so nothing would get done outside anyway.
We also have to finalize our plans for an extension of our existing deck across the back of the garage. We know what we want to do, but there's an awkwardly placed retaining wall that has to be worked into the design. At least we have a reputable contractor, so that's one less worry. Oh, and we need to replace our garage door as well.
So. Raised beds need to take priority. Then the new flower bed. Then the deck. Well, the flower bed and the deck can be done simultaneously, since we'll use different contractors. But before the deck goes on, we may need to address the new rain garden location, so we can bury the drain pipe from the garage downspout first. Geez, it shouldn't be this hard. But it's going to be great when it's all finished. And whatever we decide, it's not going to be a catastrophe if we're wrong. I have enough of that kind of pressure at work, thank you very much.
Beware the sourdough starter fake out: Don’t fall for this classic
sourdough starter trick.
-
[image: Sourdough starter in quart container on the counter]
We think of baking as a wholesome hobby, but certain threats stalk our
kitchens. Our Test Kit...
4 days ago




1 comment:
Update: The large flower bed was dug out and planted in the summer of 2009. There is still room to expand it and fill it in, so lots to keep me busy back there. The deck extension was completed just before the holidays fell upon us. Actually, the entire deck was redone from the joists up and enlarged. It's really great to have all that room. Our large raised vegetable beds are entering their second season of service after producing bumper crops last summer and fall. All that remains to do is the rain garden coming off the back of the garage.
Post a Comment