I worked an extra shift last Sunday, making last weekend the first in a string of one-day wonders which is looming ahead for most of the summer. Our first pharmacy resident has finished her year with us and moved on, and her replacement will not be trained and licensed until well into August or possibly September. Lots of "opportunities" for overtime. Time and a half at pharmacist's wages is hard to pass up, and my bank account needs some heavy-duty replenishment. New kitchens don't come cheap.
But, I've just squandered a perfectly good day off, and now I have to work straight through until Tuesday evening. I can't really do much around the house, due to the general state of disruption brought on by the previously referenced kitchen remodelling, which also includes the garage and former dining room. I did manage to do some cleaning, and some laundry, but the weather was sort of passive-aggressively menacing most of the day, so the gardens were neglected. We've had such cool (for June) temps lately, I'm loathe to go out and work in the more seasonal heat and humidity which have beset us over the last week. My landscaper has apparently fallen off the edge of the Earth, leaving us with a roughed-in planting bed project at the end of the driveway. He didn't make much progress. I bought the plants for it weeks ago, and they are not looking so spry. Oh, and yes, he's the fellow who is supposed to be fixing the fence that was compromised by the heavy rains two weeks ago. I'm concerned that he's been hurt or has been locked in a dungeon by his neighbor. She's stolen him away from me in mid-project before.
I just have no ambition today. I did make some cosmetic changes to this humble little blog, so hopefully the blogroll is easier to read now. I've been jonesing for the loveliness of the Pacific Northwest and let that beautiful part of the planet be my guide for the newish pallette.
Beware the sourdough starter fake out: Don’t fall for this classic
sourdough starter trick.
-
[image: Sourdough starter in quart container on the counter]
We think of baking as a wholesome hobby, but certain threats stalk our
kitchens. Our Test Kit...
4 days ago




3 comments:
Are those all of your cats on the side picture?
Your grandbaby is so cute! When is the next time you will be able to see her - up close and in person?
Those are some of my cats. Left to right: Rooster, Goose, and Willow, all one-year old littermates. Missing from the pic are their sister, Rowan, and mom and dad cats, Lily and Longshanks. As far as seeing Abby again, perhaps as soon as October, and if not then we'll all get together in San Antonio at Ken and Emily's the week after Christmas. There will be another grandbaby then, though!
Another grandbaby!!! How exciting . . . . it must be hard to go so long without seeing your girls - and now with grandchildren thrown into the mix . . .
You have six cats?!? Oh my . . . I have a thing about cats - I think they're slightly evil . . . . it's the whole eye thing . . . ;-) - I actually wish I liked them - they're so much easier to care for than dogs!
I can't wait to see pictures of the kitchen - how much longer on the remodel?
Post a Comment