Tuesday, September 9, 2008

An open letter to Barack Obama

Barack Obama, you have created a monster. You have awoken me. You have galvanized me. You have politicized me.
In the last two months, I have emailed my Congressman twice, signed petitions and volunteered for your campaign, put a yard sign out in your support, and now I've written my Senator about energy policy and the oil lobby.
I'd like to share that letter with you:

Dear Senator McCaskill,
We've all heard the chanting from the Republican National Convention echoing in our memories: "Drill, baby, drill!" It's a short-sighted, and one-sided, solution. In fact, it's no solution at all. Drilling in the Arctic Refuge will not impact our current energy situation, and will eventually do little to reduce the price of heating oil and gasoline in the next several decades. We won't even begin to see peak production the ANWR until well into the late 2020's or early 2030's. Additional off-shore drilling will similarly not have a significant effect in the near future. The answer is not to just reduce dependence on foreign petroleum, it is to maximally reduce dependence on petroleum from any source, period. I'm tired of subsidizing the oil companies' profits, and I'm tired of subsidizing petty and dangerous oil rich dictators like Chavez. We need to stimulate research and development of alternative energy sources, provide incentives for conservation and strive to protect and cherish the wilderness areas that survive, rather than sacrificing them on the altar of political expediency. Thank You for your kind attention.
Sincerely,

Jacqueline B. Watkins, RPh
Springfield, MO

Look what you've done.

No comments: